Wednesday 24 August 2011

Earl Grey and Honey Madeleines and a special delivery

Pin It



Ever since Tim designed some packaging for The Tea Shed we have been receiving special little packages every once in a while with lots of special treats. This time round we got a box of our favourite  Mr Grey's Tea, a gorgeous tea towel and some samples of some absolutely stunning chai. If you haven't tried any of the Tea Shed teas I thoroughly recommend you get sampling. The bags are filled with full leaves rather than dust so the flavour is tenfold better then your normal tea. There is a huge variety of teas from the 'Pick me up at 3' tea which has a little more caffine to help perk you up towards the end of your day to the 'Northern Brew' which is designed for places with hard water. There even is a 'Out of Milk Tea' which has a naturally milky taste which is perfect for those mornings when a run to the shop for milk just isn't an option. Perfect for students but also for anyone as forgetful as me! Go check out the Tea Shed shop, you won't be disappointed. 





I started racking my brain and the internet for a recipe I could use the tea with. At first I thought biscuits but after a quick search on the internet I realized that there were so many of the same recipe knocking about that I decided to go for something a little different. Thats when I discovered a recipe for Madeleines. The recipe looks a little tricky but let me assure you, as long as you stick to it they will be a success.

I don't have the madeleines baking trays so I used some metal cases, I imagine that you can buy them in most kitchen shops.


Recipe from Daily Delicious


You will need-
  • 170g unsalted butter
  • 150g cake flour - I didn't have any so I took a tbsp of flour out and replaced it with a tbsp of cornflour and sifted it 5 times
  • 4g baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 medium eggs at room temperature
  • 120g icing sugar
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2tbsp early grey tea
Start by heating your butter on a medium heat in a saucepan until its close to boil and then add your tea and brew for 3-5 minutes depending on the strength you would like. Strain the butter and then put to 1 side to cool.







Next combine all your dry ingredients and also set to 1 side.


Place a bowl over a pan of simmering water and add your eggs & sugar. Whisk until it has tripled in size and you get long ribbons when you pull the whisk out. Next add the honey and mix until incorporated.








Remove the bowl from the heat and then slowly a quater of the dry ingredients, followed by the butter and repeat till everything had been added. Just be careful not to overmix. Cover the bowl and leave to rest in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight.



When the batter is ready butter your pan and then dust with flour. Make sure you do this well so the madeleines don't stick. Preheat your oven to 180C.



Add a generous tablespoon of batter to each case and then bake for 10-12 minutes until they are golden brown and spring back when you touch the middles. Be careful not to over bake them as they will loose their delicious lightness. 





Tap the moulds till they fall out and then transfer them onto a wire rack to cool. Once cool dust with icing sugar. Be sure to dip them in your tea and don't think about the amount of butter in them whilst you nibble.




Enjoy x

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog while visiting ohdeadrea. I enjoyed it very much. Love Cambridge and like the photography, I would like see more of your city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. I have some Cambridge related posts coming up so watch this space :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...