Thursday 6 October 2011

Sweet Potato, Spinach and Goats Cheese Pie

Pin It


Finally the weather is starting to turn autumnal and even though I am sad to see the end of the hot spell we had I am looking forward to digging out my favourite winter clothes and also having an excuse to go shopping for new things. After making the Butternut Squash, Mushroom & Leek Pie last week I was itching to try out another concoction. This time round I made my version of the Pieminister Heidi Pie. Its a fantastic combination of flavours and I really didn't want to tamper with it


I plan to make double quantities next time and freeze 2 of the pies so that when I'm short of time I can just pop one straight in the oven. I also forgot to mention last time, if you are short on time you could use ready rolled puffed pastry for the pie top.


You will need:

  • 1 Quantity of pie crust from here or Ready rolled puff pastry
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
  • 1 medium red onion (I used 2 very small ones)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 handfuls of spinach (I used 2 lumps of frozen)
  • 125ml vegetable stock
  • Soft Goats cheese to taste
  • Olive oil
Begin by pre-heating your oven to 200C. Place the garlic on a small sheet of greaseproof paper pour a little oil on and then wrap in the paper and bake in the oven till you need it.





Heat a little oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat and cook until soft. Next add the spinach and sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oven,unpeel and chop then add it to the vegetables. Pour the vegetable stock into the pan, season, then cover and leave to simmer for another 5 minutes. Whilst that is simmering roll out the pastry. Fill your pie dish(es) half way and then add some crumbled goats cheese. Now top with the remaining filling. You could crumble some extra goats cheese on top too. Top with the pastry pinching the sides to seal it well. At this point you could leave the pie to cool completely then cover with foil and freeze.




Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and serve.


Enjoy x

3 comments:

  1. My gosh, that is one yummy pie. And the Blueberry cookies below too!!! Yummy!!!

    Belly B :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this pie for Christmas. Was a triumph, according to my sister.

    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was well received! Its one of my favourites :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...