This is one of my favourite comfort foods and contains my beloved garlic. Make sure you use some good quality sausages, preferably Toulouse if you can find them. Its great as a mid week meal but also great instead of a sunday roast. You can very easily double/triple/quadruple this recipe to feed more mouths.
You will need-
- 4 Toulouse Sausages or some other good quality sausages
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot chopped finely
- 1 stick celery chopped finely - you can use any vegetables that stew well and you have to hand.
- 1 onion or 3 shallots chopped finely
- 1 rosemary sprig chopped
- 3 garlic cloves roughly chopped (remember I'm a garlic fiend so use less if you're not into it)
- 85g dried green or red lentils rinsed
- 200g can of chopped tomatoes
- 350ml of veg stock
- Around 10 baby new potatoes
Get your casserole dish on the hob on a medium heat and heat your oil. Cook your sausages until they are brown. Remove them and then add your chopped vegetables and cook for 10 minutes or so. Now add your garlic and rosemary cook for another minute.
Add your tomatoes, lentils and stock and then return the sausages. Bring the whole thing to a boil. Now cover and simmer the whole lot for 10- 15 minutes until your lentils are cooked.
Meanwhile, get your potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water and cook for around 20minutes or until cooked. Drain and mash lightly with some butter and salt.
Season your stew to taste and serve.