Wednesday 17 October 2012

Jaffa Cake Lamingtons

Pin It
baking, cake, children, sweet, sponge, lamington, australia, snowball, snoball, jaffa cake, homemade. treat, dessert, supper, club,
The last time I mentioned lamingtons on this blog I told of a disastrous afternoon in the kitchen. I did however vow to try these again but this time using my own recipe. Now, I don't want to gloat, but I must say these lamingtons beat Dan Lepard's hands down! When Jo & I were planning the menu for the childhood memories supper club I had a bit of a light bulb moment the idea of combining 2 of my favourite sweet treats into 1 popped into my head. Ok, so I admit, lamingtons aren't really from my childhood but their appearance reminds me of Snowballs so perhaps its in actual fact a merge of all 3!

I initially had the idea of using orange jelly as the jaffa cake component but when it came to the taste tests we decided they were way to sweet. Luckily Jo thought on her feet and suggested using the last of her homemade seville orange marmalade and oh my what a treat! Sadly, Jo doesn't have any marmalade left so please don't go knocking at her door. But, you could just use a good quality shop bought or if you're feeling heroic, make your own. We discovered that the lamingtons are even better the next day. So, if you can stand to wait I promise it will be worth it. I just hope I don't get an influx of angry emails from Aussies for messing around with a classic.

Makes 1 20x20cm tin
You will need-
  • 180g unsalted butter, softened
  • 180g caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 180g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 jar seville orange marmalade
  • 10g cocoa powder
  • 30ml cold milk
  • 120ml boiling water
  • 135g dark chocolate, grated or finely chopped
  • 300g icing sugar
  • 250g desiccated coconut
Preheat your oven to 175C. To make the sponge, whisk together the butter and sugar till light and creamy and then one by one, whisk in the eggs. Sieve the flour and baking powder into the bowl and  fold into the butter mixture. Spoon into your tin and smooth the mixture down evenly before baking for around 30 minutes. Check the cake after about 20 minutes and turn in the oven if needed.

Leave the cake to cool completely before cutting it in half horizontally. Spread the marmalade carefully over the bottom layer and then sandwich the top layer back on and press down gently.

baking, cake, children, sweet, sponge, lamington, australia, snowball, snoball, jaffa cake, homemade. treat, dessert, supper, club, marmalade, jam
To make the chocolate coating, mix together the cocoa powder and milk in a bowl till you have a paste. Then whisk in the boiled water followed by the chocolate till it melts. Finally add the icing sugar and then you're ready to go. We found that its best to add a little coconut to a flat dish at a time otherwise it will all get coated in chocolate and you'll end up with a mess.

Cut the sponge into cubes and then get your production line ready. 1st your chocolate, then your coconut and finally a wire rack lined with greaseproof paper. I would suggest having a second pair of hands, one person getting covered in chocolate and the other the coconut but if you're making them on your own just keep one hand free of chocolate as that will help the lamingtons stay neat and tidy.

Once you have coated them all in chocolate and coconut, leave them to set for at least an hour but longer if you can. They can then be stored in an airtight box for a few days.
baking, cake, children, sweet, sponge, lamington, australia, snowball, snoball, jaffa cake, homemade. treat, dessert, supper, club, marmalade, jam
I must finish by saying- I accept no responsibility for chocolate or coconut being found dotted around your home for days to come. Despite there being 2 of us, Jo found a dollop of chocolate on her washing machine! But, oh my are these worth all of that. However big (or small) you make them, just 1 piece won't be enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...