Thursday 31 May 2012

Blueberry Yogurt Cake

Pin It
blueberry, yogurt, walnut, cake, baking, crunch, nutmeg, cinnamon, smell, amazing, fragrance, square
I first made and fell in love with this cake over a year ago. Whenever I fancy a treat or am having had a bad week I shut myself in the kitchen and bake this beauty. If a cake could make someone fall in love with you than this would be it. Whilst baking, the house gets filled with the most incredible smells. I'm sure my neighbours A. love me B. wish I offered them some. The worst part is waiting for it to cook and cool enough before you can get eating. The cake has the most amazing crunchy filling and topping made of up walnuts, sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg, if it were down to me, every cake would contain these 4 things.

On a completely different note, I don't have a microwave, which 90% of the time isn't a problem. The only time I miss it when needing to soften butter. I normally don't remember to leave my butter out so this time I had a go at grating it which apart from making a bit of a mess, worked really well. Now I just need to find space for a dishwasher

Recipe adapted from Shutterbean
You will need
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp softened unsalted butter (1/2 cup of butter = 4oz)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/4 cups plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

For this recipe you ideal need a 20 x 20 baking tray but of course you could use a slightly different size, just be sure to adjust your cooking time accordingly. Preheat your oven to 175C and line your tin with greaseproof paper.

Next, using an electric hand whisk beat together the butter and granulated sugar till its light and fluffy then gradually add the eggs and vanilla extract.
Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into the butter mixture. Fold it in followed by the yogurt and blueberries. I'd suggest not using the blueberries straight out of the freezer as it will make the mixture solidify and will be a lot more difficult to spread into the tin. I learnt this the hard way!


Now its time for the crunchy part. In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar with the walnuts, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour half of the cake batter into the tin and then sprinkle it with half of the nut mixture then top with the remaining batter.

Next add the 2 tablespoons of butter to the nut mixture and rub it in with your fingers before topping the cake off with it.

Bake for around 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

6 comments:

  1. A Tasty cake you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I've made crumble cake before but never thought of a nutty topping.
    I grate very cold or preferably frozen butter to make pastry and crumble, makes it a lot quicker to rub in than cubes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to have a go with frozen butter the next time I make pastry, so much quicker than cubing it.

      Delete
  3. It looks amazing and I love the idea of it being a woo-ing cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried adapting this cake for my gluten-allergic boyfriend yesterday, it worked beautifully, the cake is almost entirely eaten already. Thanks so much for posting the recipe!

    In case anyone is interested in doing the same, I just substituted the plain flour with Doves Farm Gluten-free White Bread flour and added a healthy splash of milk with the yoghurt because gf flours tend to suck up the liquid more than wheat flour.

    I also melted the butter and sugar over a low heat and let them cool a bit before adding the eggs, but that's because I'm lazy and hate creaming butter and sugar, and have found this works fine for gluteny and gluten-free cakes.

    I'm thinking of trying it with raspberries and hazelnuts in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic! I will definitely try it gluten free next time. Also love the sound of raspberries & hazelnuts. May have to include a bit of chocolate too as hazelnuts and chocolate are a match made in heaven in my eyes.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...