Monday 28 May 2012

Butternut Squash Pita, a Bosnian recipe

Pin It
pita, squash, butternut, supper club, food, lunch, dinner, picnic, kids, meal, children, filo, bosnian, tikva, feta, cottage cheese, creme fraiche, baking
Pita like I've talked about before on my spinach pita recipe is a Bosnian filo pastry pie that I was brought up on. This butternut squash filling is a slightly different take on the original. Pumpkin pita is made but butternut squash isn't normally used. Personally I prefer the butternut to a regular pumpkin because of its sweetness. 

For the Plate Lickers Eastern European supper club I made this as a little appetiser but it is equally great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is delicious straight out of the oven but I quite like it at room temperature or even cold so it was make a great addition to any picnic this summer. Once you get the knack of rolling they are pretty quick to make and can be kept in the fridge for upto about 4 days. I have also made them way in advance before and frozen them before baking. Then the night before I needed them, moved them into the fridge and baked them in the morning. 

Pita is really great to make for kids as they can hold it in their hand and it doesn't make a mess. I will try to get the other recipes up but if you wanted to make just a cheese pita all you would need to do is leave the squash out and use a whole pack of feta.

You will need 
  • A pack of filo pastry (don't use frozen) 
  • 3 eggs 
  • 600ml cottage cheese 
  • 300ml creme fraiche 
  • 1/2 pack of feta cheese (100g), grated 
  • 1 small or 1/2 large butternut squash peeled and diced into small cubes 
  • Salt & Pepper 
  • Olive oil 
Begin by preheating your oven to 180C then lighly oil some baking trays. I use a mixture of small ones that have a little lip around them (the Mermaid brand do some great ones and I always see them in TK Maxx for quite cheap)

In a large bowl whisk together your eggs and then add the cottage cheese, creme fraiche, feta,squash and season. Mix everything well and then set to one side.

Next, unroll the filo and depending on the size cut in half or quarters. I like mine to be about 25 x 15cm, although this size is completely approximate. I do also sometimes make them even smaller which I did for the supper club. For the size of pita I normally do, you need a tablespoon of filling for each. Spread it roughly over the whole sheet then fold over the top and bottom till they meet in the middle.

Now just very loosely roll it up and place, crease side down in your tray. Keep going till you have used all the mixture and filo up. You can freeze any left over mixture for next time.

Once you have filled all your trays, brush the pita lightly with some olive oil and then bake for around 20 to 30 minutes or until the pita is golden and crispy around the edges.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, this looks very delish! I absolutely love butternut squash, so will have to try your recipe, yum.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...