Wednesday 21 March 2012

Placke, Fried Dough recipe

Pin It
For as long as I can remember my mum used to make these placke as a special treat on the weekends. They are fantastic eaten sweet or savoury but my favourite is with a big dollop of jam. They would be great served with a poached egg on top or just with some yogurt. 

You can make these with left over pizza or bread dough or even shop bought, ready made doughs like pizza or the Pilsbury bread doughs work really well. As there is just two of us in our house, whenever I make pizza I always have lots of leftover dough. I keep it in the fridge and then just break off little golf ball sized piece. You need to place a pan over a medium high heat with a tablespoon or so of rapeseed or sunflower oil and when its nice and hot stretch your dough out quite thinly and then place them in the pan. They take just a few minutes to cook on each side. You want them to be golden brown on the outside so keep an eye of them so they don't burn. Before serving them sit them on some kitchen paper to soak up the oil and then serve warm with your favourite toppings.


 Ok, I admit they're not the healthiest of breakfasts but the combination of the crispy outside with the lovely spongy inside is irresistable. I can't guarantee that you won't end up making these a little too often.

1 comment:

  1. This brings back memories of a summer spent working the fried dough stand on the beach in New Hampshire. Yum. Never thought of recreating at home. Think I will have to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...