Monday 12 March 2012

Butterbean & Chorizo pie

Pin It
I made this pie last week and planned on blogging it then as it was pie week, but then life got busy as it does, and I got a little side-tracked. I have been planning on making a pie like this since my autumn pie marathon (sweet potato, goats cheese & spinach & butternut squash, mushroom & leek) but I never quite got round to it. I bought my lovely pie tins recently from Lakeland and have been really eager to use them. I was a little lazy and used a shop bought shortcrust pastry as I was short for time but if you want to make your own I do have a recipe here. The next time I make these, I will make them with just a pie top as it was a little too much for the 2 of us, but I may just need smaller pie tins.

For 2 pies you will need-
  • 1 packet of shop bought or this pastry
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 1/4 piece of a chorizo ring, sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic sliced
  • Red wine
  • 1 tin butterbeans
  • 3 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 red pepper thinly sliced
  • Milk for brushing
I began by placing my pastry in the tins and then lining it with greaseproof paper and beans and baking them in a preheated oven on 160C till slightly golden so that I didn't get a dreaded soggy bottom.
Whilst that is in the oven heat a large saucepan and cook your onion, chorizo & garlic over a medium heat. Once the onions are soft add a splash of red wine and cook down. Next add the butterbeans, tomatoes and pepper and season to taste. Put a lid on, turn the heat down and simmer for around 15 minutes.

Once the pie crust is ready remove from the oven take out the beans and paper. Fill your pies with your chorizo mixture and then brush the sides of the pastry with a little milk to help it stick. Cut the tops for your pie and then place on top. Go all around the edges and pinch them them together and then cut a couple of slits for the steam to escape. You could also be a little creative and cut some designs to stick on top. I was a little unimaginative and did some hearts again. Brush the top of the pie with more milk and if you are sticking on some designs brush a little milk underneath to help them stick. Bake in the oven for around 15-20 minutes or until your pie is lovely and golden brown.

Serve with your favourite vegetables and a nice glass of red wine.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...