I have recently joined the library so that I can manage my addiction of cookbooks without spending a fortune. One of the books I got recently is Jamie's Italy. It is full of lots of inspirational recipes and this is the first one that I have made from it. Aubergine Parmigiana is great on its own as a meal or alongside roasted meat. I love it on its own but I would love to make it as part of a big meze meal.
Recipe loosely adapted from Jamie's Italy
You will need-
- 1 large firm aubergine (or 2 small)
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (I ran out so used rosemary)
- 1 tin of good quality plum tomatoes
- A drop of wine vinegar
- A small handful of fresh basil chopped
- 1-2 handfuls of freshly grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (I mixed mine with a little olive oil and rosemary and baked in the oven till golden before using)
- Handful of chopped kalamata olives (optional)
- Buffalo mozzarella (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
Begin by slicing the ends off the aubergine and then slice it into 1cm thick slices. Heat a griddle pan to the highest temperature and then in batches grill the slices until they are lightly charred.
In a saucepan heat a little olive oil on a medium heat and then cook the onion, garlic and oregano for around 10 minutes until the onions are soft and the garlic gets a little colour on it. After 10 minutes add the olives and then plum tomatoes. Break them up with a wooden spoon and give the whole lot a good stir. Place a lid on the pan and simmer on a low heat whilst you finish grilling the aubergine.
Pre-heat you oven to 190C.
Once the aubergine is grilled and then tomato sauce has been simmering for at least 10 minutes add a little splash of wine vinegar to the sauce and the fresh basil then set to 1 side.
Now its time to assemble everything. Begin by putting a small layer of tomato sauce in a baking dish then scatter lightly with parmesan. Top that off with a layer of aubergine slices and keep repeating until you use all of the ingredients up. Finish with a layer of tomato sauce topped with parmesan and the breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for around 30 minutes or until golden and crisp. Top with crumbled buffalo mozzarella.
Eat right away. Enjoy x