Sunday 1 April 2012

An Ottolenghi Feast

Pin It
If you didn't know already (I do go on about it quite a lot) I'm a huge fan of Yotam Ottolenghi. Every since we got Plenty as a wedding gift I have been cooking lots of his recipes. For Christmas I finally got The Cookbook, Ottolenghi's first book and ever since I have been eager to make some of the savoury treats in there. As you have seen on here, I have already baked quite a lot of the sweet treats like the macarons, blueberry crumble & plum, marzipan & cinnamon muffins and pistachio & ginger biscotti. Also, his Quesadilla & Potato Tart Tartin are serious favourites in our house. I have been planning on making some more of his salads and sharing plates for a long while now and finally the opportunity arose for my mother in law's birthday. I have to apologies for the poor photos, I was a little too busy planning and cooking and completely forgot to bring my camera along. To go along with the dishes my brother in law Dan, slow roasted a delicious shoulder of lamb which literally fell of the bone and was so unbelievably tender.
A bit of a hybrid of 2 recipes, quinoa & arborio rice with spices, currents, pinenuts & fresh mint and parsley
Roasted new potatoes with cherry tomatoes, olives, lemon, sage & parsley. (the original recipe called for Jerusalem artichokes which I didn't have)
Chargrilled courgette, asparagus & halloumi with roasted tomatoes, rocket and basil oil
The star of the show, burnt aubergine dip with cucumber, garlic, pomegranate & parsley
 I made the dip, basil oil and rice dish a day ahead along with the cake which I forgot to photograph (a gluten free rhubarb & lemon cake) and then with Tim's help, cracked out the other two dishes after work this afternoon. Looking at these photos is making me want seconds. Luckily I have enough for my lunch tomorrow. The aubergine dip recipe is from Plenty and the rest are in The Cookbook, the rice dish being a mix of the Camargue red rice and quinoa on page 76 and filling from the stuffed vine leaves on page 86 (which was inspired by my friend Steph's creation)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...