Monday 23 January 2012

Chorizo & Cauliflower meets Mac & Cheese

Pin It
So I guess I should begin by saying that I initially got the idea for a cauliflower & macaroni cheese from good old Jamie and his not so 30 minute meals. I liked his use of creme fraiche for the sauce and made his version after seeing it on the tv. I planned on doing the same again tonight until I realised I couldn't find the recipe anywhere. This is when I decided to make my own spin of it and I am happy to say it was a success. So much so that just looking at the photos is making me want to run to the fridge for seconds! According to Tim, this meal has the perfect mix of textures, chewy, crunchy, soft (he should know he's a bit of a textures man) and I have to agree with him. If you are more sensible than me then you would serve this with a lovely crisp salad but with it being January and a monday I thought I would treat myself!

I know I will struggle waiting for lunch time at work tomorrow knowing that this is waiting for me in the fridge!

Serves 4
You will need
  • 200g penne or macaroni elbows
  • 1 cauliflower leaves and stem removed and cut into small florets
  • 50g chorizo
  • 100g mature cheddar, grated
  • 40g parmesan, grated
  • 150ml creme fraiche, I used low fat to make myself feel a little better!
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • A sprig of rosemary, leaves chopped
  • A couple of slices of stale bread, or some shop bought course breadcrumbs
Pre-heat your oven to 170C and then begin by placing the pasta and cauliflower in a bowl of salted boiling water and cook according to the pasta instructions. (When draining the pasta and cauliflower save the cooking water).

Whilst that is boiling away cut your chorizo into thin slices and then cube.

In a separate bowl combine the creme fraiche, cheddar, parmesan, garlic and chorizo and leave to one side.

Slice your bread into smaller chunks and then place in the oven for a few minutes. Once its toasted add it to your food processor along with your rosemary and blits till you get course breadcrumbs.

Once you have drained the pasta and cauliflower (and reserved the water) place them back into the pan along with the cheese mix you made and combine. Add some of the cooking water till its slightly runny then pour into a baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and bake for around 15-20 minutes till the breadcrumbs are lovely and golden.







When cooked spoon out onto your plate and eat as fast as you can. Then try to avoid eating any leftovers straight after. But don't be like me, don't forget the salad!
Enjoy.x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...